Mould Toxicity Symptoms – A Functional Medicine Approach
Do you live in Ottawa, and are you concerned that you may have mould toxicity symptoms?
Then you are in the right place.
Today, tell how a Functional Medicine approach can help.
In This Article:
- Why is Mould Such a Big Deal?
- What Are The Top 12 Mould Toxicity Symptoms?
- Other Key Ways Mould Affects Our Body’s Nervous and Immune Systems
- How To Test For Mould In The Body?
- Treating Mould Toxicity
Let’s start by discussing what mould is and why it is such a problem for your health.
Why is Mould Such a Big Deal?
Mould is probably the #1 obstacle in the body’s inability to heal.
Between 300 to 400 compounds are now recognized as mycotoxins, of which approximately a dozen groups regularly receive attention as threats to human and animal health.
Mycotoxins are small, odourless, invisible compounds that can be inhaled and cause hundreds of symptoms.
Mould from water-damaged buildings will colonize the body and potentially cause health issues.
What Are The Top 12 Mould Toxicity Symptoms?
- Severe Brain Fog
- Numbness and tingling
- It worsens when the snow melts when it rains or is humid and in libraries and churches.
- Allergic shiners, rosacea, chronic congestion, sinus, snoring issues
- Multiple small lymph nodes in the neck all the time
- Sensitive to odours, chemicals, foods
- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- NO IMPROVEMENT IN TREATMENT OF ORIGINAL CHIEF CONCERNS DESPITE COMPLIANCE.
- Psychiatric symptoms include anxiety, depression, OCD, Depersonalization, mood swings and severe brain fog.
- Unique symptoms include ice pick sensations in the brain, internal vibrations or tremors, electrical shocks, and increased sensitivity to touch, sounds, and noise.
Other Key Ways Mould Affects Our Body’s Nervous and Immune Systems
Long-term mould exposure creates an imbalance in the nervous and limbic systems.
The Limbic system governs emotions, sensitivity, cognition, energy and pain.
A cause of Mast Cell Activation Syndrome can be mould toxicity.
Dr. Bredesen found that mould toxicity is the #1 cause of Alzheimer’s/Dementia.
How To Test For Mould In The Body?
Muscle Response Testing
In my Functional medicine practice, I use Muscle response testing to determine whether mould has an allergic or toxic effect on your body.
The following tests you can do through your Family Doctor:
- Routine Blood Testing – CBC may show decreased White Blood Cells, Neutrophils and Lymphocytes.
- Testing for CD57 – it will be deficient.
- Low iron – there is a link between low iron and fungal overload, as the fungi acquiesce iron.
Mycotoxin testing looks at whether you have mould in your body. The following mycotoxin urine tests are available:
- Great Plain Labs – Mycotoxin Profile
- Real-Time Labs
- Vibrant Mycotoxins
These tests are only available through Naturopathic Doctors.
As an adjunct to muscle testing, I get my clients to complete the Crista Mold Questionnaire developed by Dr. Jill Crista.
Treating Mould Toxicity
Eliminate Exposure From Mould
The essential first step to treating mould toxicity is identifying and removing yourself from mould exposure. Mould exposure can be both in the home and at work.
You can hire a Mycotologist to take samples from around your home and basement, which may include cutting into walls.
If they determine your home is contaminated, it is best to remediate.
With some patients, moving is the only thing that truly works for them to get better. Extreme? Yes – but necessary for tough long-standing cases.
Support The Microbiome
Healthy People all have substantial populations of three strains of beneficial bacteria known as Keystone Strains:
- Akkermansia muciniphila
- Faecalibacterium prausnitzii
Antibiotics, SAD, Glyphosate, chronic stress, sedentary lifestyle, and environmental toxins deplete Keystone strains.
You can support the Keystone Strains by:
- Avoiding the depleters
- Eat fermented foods
- Feeding the keystone strains using prebiotic fibres (FOS, GOS and XOS.)
Treat Mould in The Gut
The following products help treat mycotoxins and fungal infections in the gut:
- DFH GI Microbe X
- DFH Allicin
- DFH Oregano
Support the Elimination of Mycotoxins
A lot of people with mould toxicity struggle to eliminate mycotoxins.
Your body removes mycotoxins through the bile, stool, urine, and through our skin. Another route is breast milk.
The best way to clear mycotoxins is through the bile, adding a binder (like activated charcoal) to ‘catch’ the toxins and eliminate them through the stool.
A Liver support supplement (like DFH – LV GB Complex) with bile stimulants and bitters improves bile flow.
Address the Nervous System
Most people with mould toxicity issues have over-reactive or dysregulated nervous systems, particularly dysregulated Limbic systems. Your nervous system could have become dysregulated because of the following:
- Long-term exposure to mould
- Past Emotional Trauma
- Past Physical Trauma
To calm the limbic system, you need to deal you need a three-pronged approach, including:
- Retraining the limbic system with DNRS, Gupta Program and Neuroptimal programs.
- Treat past emotional traumas with therapies such as Emotional Reconditioning and Energy Healing.
- Treat past physical traumas such as Physical Trauma Reconditioning and PDTR.
There are also some supplements you might try:
- Catecholecalm, if you are burnt out and anxious, wake up at 3 am.
- DFH Tri-Mag is helpful for sleep and anxiety.
Now It’s Over To You
Do you have any of the Top Mould Toxicity symptoms?
Have you been exposed to mould in the past?
Let me know in the comments below.
Do You Need Help With Mould Toxicity Symptoms?
If you need help, I suggest you book a free functional medicine discovery session with me to determine whether my approach fits your needs.
The information provided on this website is for educational purposes only and is not intended to diagnose or treat any disease. Please do not apply this information without first speaking with your doctor.